- This event has passed.
Nominations Open for the Commonwealth Youth Awards
October 17, 2021 @ 8:00 am
Deadline: 17th October, 2021
Organised and delivered by the Commonwealth Youth Programme, the Commonwealth Youth Awards for Excellence in Development Work aims to recognise and celebrate young people (aged 15 – 29) in the Commonwealth who are spearheading impactful, sustainable development work in their communities. The main objectives of the Commonwealth Youth Awards are to:
- Highlight the contributions young people are making to development work in the Commonwealth, particularly through the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Create an environment which will encourage and sustain investments in youth-led development;
- Illustrate the depth and breadth of talent, commitment and creativity that exists among young people across the Commonwealth; and
- Motivate, encourage and challenge young people to set high standards for their work/service at community, national, regional or international levels.
- The nominee must have been engaged in development work for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity;
- The nominee must be a Commonwealth citizen and the development work must be taking place in a Commonwealth member country;
- The nominee should not be older than 29 years of age on 31 December 2021;
- Individuals can nominate themselves or be nominated by someone who can accurately describe their development work; and
- Winners must agree to take part in publicity generated by the Commonwealth.
Awards will be decided on the basis of:
- Level of impact;
- Level of innovation/fresh approaches to problem solving;
- Quality of achievement;
- Quality of the evidence provided; and
- There will be four finalists for each Commonwealth region with the top entries receiving the Regional Winner Award.
- The top Regional Winner will receive the Pan-Commonwealth Award and be named the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year 2022.
- The 20 Regional Finalists will each receive a £1,000 grant, a trophy and a certificate.
- The 5 Regional Winners will receive an additional £2,000 (a total of £3,000) a trophy and a certificate.
- The Pan-Commonwealth Winner will receive an additional £2,000 (a total of £5,000) a trophy and a certificate.
- The Regional Winners and Pan Commonwealth Winner will be officially announced during Commonwealth Week in March 2022.