Call for Applications: “My Voice My Action” campaign
Application deadline: 30 September 2020
The African Union is launching a call for applications for all African CSOs interested in being part of the “My Voice My Action” campaign and actively involved in the WPS agenda.
The year 2020 represents a landmark in efforts to promote and protect women’s rights both globally and continentally. It marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action, the twentieth anniversary of United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 1325; the seventeenth anniversary for the Maputo Protocol, and the sixteenth anniversary of the Solemn Declaration on Gender Equality in Africa (SDGEA).
The anniversary of UNSCR 1325, in particular, provides a useful platform for a clarion call to accelerate efforts at achieving the objectives of the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) Agenda. UNSCR 1325 also provides a powerful normative framework for galvanizing multifaceted and multi-level action to ensure women’s needs, voices and perspectives to prevent, resolve and recover from conflict and build sustainable peace are effectively represented.
It is against this background that the Gender Peace and Security program (GPSP) in collaboration with the Training for Peace (TfP) Africa Program as well as the Economic Social and Cultural Council (ECOSOCC) Gender and Peace and Security Clusters, are launching a campaign on the 20th anniversary of the UNSCR 1325.
- To identify useful lessons in the efforts of the African Union and its Member States in the promotion of women’s rights and gender equality to build on the strides made;
- To acknowledge and document the role and contributions of civil society organizations (CSOs), in particular, those working on women’s issues, in the implementation of the WPS agenda; and
- To call for the further enhancement of efforts to promote and protect women’s rights through more gender-responsive decision-making, guided by gender- sensitive reporting.
CSOs seeking to present their applications should meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a national, regional or continental CSO engaged in the areas of women, peace and security;
- Be registered in a member state of the African Union;
- CSOs that discriminate on the basis of religion, gender, tribe, ethnicity, race or political basis shall be barred from participating in the campaign;
- Adherence to the Code of Ethics and Conduct for CSOs affiliated to or working with the African Union.
All submissions should be included in a single document (word/PDF) and sent to the following email address [email protected] under the subject line “MY VOICE MY ACTION- CSO APPLICATION”
Closing date for the submission of applications with all supporting documents is 30 September 2020. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
For more information, visit African Union.